Do not disturb, I am reading

Over the past couple of weeks, I have gotten back into reading. There is something so satisfying about picking up a book, turning the crisp pages over, the fresh smell of the pages and then finishing it and wanting to read it all over again.


It was my birthday a couple of weeks back and I received a book as a present and bought a couple more with some money I got given. I finished the one I received and currently reading one of the two I bought with the money. However it got me thinking about the books I have read in my 23 years of existing.

From childhood favourites like The Hungry Caterpillar, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit and The Worst Witch to books that I haven't been able to put down during my late teens/early adult years, here are four books I definitely would recommend picking up!

So get reading to binge read these...

I will include the back of the book so it saves me having to badly explain what the stories are about!
 
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie


 
This Agatha Christie classic is the book my mother gave me for my birthday. My favourite ever book, I utterly adore this book for a number of reasons.
I love a good detective story.
Although you have to pay close attention to pick up the numerous clues, the 274pgs page turner is an easy read compared to others [I read this in two days], if you love murder mystery books that is.
That plot twist is sooooo cleverly done, it still gives me goosebumps every time I read it [or watch the TV adaption of it starring David Suchet].
If you love to get your deerstalker on [Sherlock reference] and try to become the detective you were born to be [obviously], then Murder on the Orient Express is definitely for you.
 
Father Brown - G.K. Chesterton


 
A theme is emerging right now evidently because here is another detective book.
Consisting 790 pages, this book contains all of the Father Brown stories so don't panic. There are 53 short stories in this massive book and all focuses on the clever cleric solving crimes in his parish.
He is such a lovable character and the stories are well written, even though there are some words I haven't heard of before!
The TV series, inspired by the stories, is one of my favourite shows ever so of course I got the book to read and I am glad I did. Yeah, it is a slow one, it takes time to read, but the imagination of the crimes and trying to figure out who done it makes it all worth it.
 
The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins


 
Ok, so there is definitely a theme of murder in this post so far with these books but it is my favourite genre alright!
I first came across this book as I watched the BBC miniseries adapted from it, last year.
The Moonstone is again a detective story, apparently the first full length one in the English Language in that genre. The story is told by many of the main characters but all equally giving us insight to the diamond's theft in hand. They don't call it a classic for any old reason!

The Help - Kathryn Stockett


 
WOOO a book that isn't a detective one! Hahahah!
This book makes you feel all kinds of emotions. Due to the fact I learnt about the civil rights movement in A Level History a few years ago, we went on a school trip to see the film adaption of 'The Help' and it was amazing [watch it if you haven't] so I bought the book to read.
It is such a moving yet funny novel, showing you what it was like in 1960s America. The two main maids, Aibileen and Minny, are lovable, sassy and you go on their journey with them through all the violence and heartbreak.
This is a must read book and it will make you think and look twice at a chocolate pie, that's for sure!
 ...
Well there you go, four books I couldn't put down.
Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs are my own

Comments

Popular Posts