An Eastery chocolate cake

Yesterday, I made this tasty chocolate cake with a hint of Easter added. Having such a lovely response to the picture I posted on my social media accounts, I thought I would share how you can make this delicious cake too!


Not going to lie, I kinda just through this together and chucked on some mini eggs and sprinkled some Cadbury's flake on it. However, I have been on the old Google and found a choccy cake recipe for you all from the Queeeeeeeen on baking, Mary Berry herself! Before you ask, I have made Mary's cake before so don't you worry!

So let us begin with this Easter treat...

This is Mary Berry's recipe, found on Good to Know, no copyright intended.

What you will need:
 
For the chocolate cake:
3 large eggs
175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
175g (6 oz)caster sugar
175g (6 oz) softened butter
1½ level tsp baking powder
40g (1½ oz) cocoa powder
4 tbsp boiling water
A little icing sugar, to serve
 
For the chocolate spreading/ganache icing:
150ml (5fl oz) double cream
150g (5oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
 
You'll also need:
2 x 17cm (7 in) deep sandwich tins, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper

What to do now:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Grease and line with non-stick baking paper your tins if you haven't done so already.
  2. Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter and baking powder until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Put the cocoa in separate mixing bowl add the water a little at a time to make a stiff paste then add to the cake mixture.
  4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins, level the top and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 mins, or until shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
  5. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn on to a wire rack to become completely cold before icing.
  6. To make the icing: measure the cream and chocolate into a bowl and carefully melt over a pan of hot water over a low heat, or gently in the microwave for 1 min (600w microwave). Stir until melted, then set aside to cool a little and to thicken up.
  7. Spread the icing on the cake, one on top on the other, and around the sides.
  8. Use the remaining icing to ice the top of the cake in a swirl pattern. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
  9. This is where I just kinda did my own thing and decorated it in Easter sweets! Crush some Cadbury's flakes and sprinkle around the side of the cake's top. Get a handful of mini eggs and place a mountain of them in the middle and voila, enjoy!!!
And the tasty treat...




Not going to lie, I am not that much of a fan of chocolate cake, I mean I like it but I find it sooooo rich and would go for something else if there were other options.
However, this cake is on a different level. It is sooooo tasty and yeah, it is rich but my gosh, it is sooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooood!
The creaminess of the icing and the tasty cake itself to the crunchy mini eggs and crushed flakes, it is such a showstopper and fab for this time of year!
Sometimes you just got to treat yourself, especially to chocolate as it is Easter!!!
 
Well there you have it, have a fantastic Easter guys!
Until next time
-------------------------------------
All photographs my own! 

Comments

  1. Oooooh this looks so yummy! Mary Berry has so many good recipes - she's definitely one of my go to's if I need to make something I've never tried before. I could definitely eat a slice of this right now with nice hot cuppa!


    Olivia - The Northernist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo nice and Mary Berry is my fave, she is so cute! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts