A fruity edible concoction
First thing first, I am away in London next week so there wont be another post until next Sunday however I will do another My London Adventures again.
With that out of the way, its that time of week again.... Sunday Baking Series!!!!
Great British Bake Off is certainly heating up and this recipe will definitely make your eyes light up with glee like they do on the programme... A meringue with chocolate, berries and whipped cream.
My mum saved this recipe from a magazine she bought and I can't find it. However, this recipe from BBC Food Website is similar.
Welcome to berry, creamy heaven...
Note: this recipe is from BBC Recipe website, like the previous recipe I have simply shared the recipe as it is absolute delicious! No copyright infringement intended. All photographs are my own.Less than 30 mins preparation time, over 2 hours cooking time
- For the meringue
- 8 free-range eggs, whites only
- 200g/7oz white caster sugar
- For the filling
- 400ml/14fl oz double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 250g/9oz strawberries, hulled and quartered (I used a mixture of berries)
- For the meringue, preheat the oven to 100C/200F/Gas ¾. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. I would suggest you make the meringue the day before.
- Place the egg whites into a clean glass or metal bowl and whisk until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large plain or star nozzle. Pipe into 16 small, individual meringues onto the prepared baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once done, turn the oven off but leave the meringues in the oven for at least two hours. When crisp and completely cooled, remove from the oven.
- For the filling, whisk the cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Fold in half the strawberries.
- Place a meringue onto a serving plate. Spread the whipped cream lightly over the meringues to cover totally, and top with more strawberries. Lightly dust with icing sugar. -Before placing the whipped cream on the meringue, I put melted white chocolate on the base, left to cool then placed the cream and berries on top-
Here is the finished product...
This recipe is perfect for those summer days when you have the family round or your friends.
The sweetness of the strawberries (as well as the raspberries and blueberries on my owns) are just so light and refreshing.
The whipped cream is literally one of the best things I have tasted, its so delicious and well, creamy with the strawberries.
The meringue is crisp and gooey with the marshmallowy inside.
Like I said before, I put melted white chocolate on the top of the meringue with just added to the taste and texture.
This is definitely one to make you berry happy... Do you see what I did there?!
Well there you have it Meringue with Berries and Cream great for the summery season!
What have you baked recently? Comment below!
Until next time
More recipes from BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/
GBBO airs on Wednesdays, 8pm on BBC One. Catch up now on BBC iPlayer.
Recipe from BBC Recipe website! No copyright infringement intended.